Black mold may be in your home and you might not even know it. The best way to know is to use your nose. If you detect an earthy scent, it is likely nearby. The black mold can cause respiratory difficulties in adults and can be lethal for children and the elderly. To eliminate it, though, you will first need to find it.
Near Favorite Food Sources
Black mold feeds on the following materials:
Unfortunately, almost all homes have a few of these food sources, so you will have to narrow down exactly where the black mold is located.
In the Dishwasher
Your dishwasher might have a build-up of black mold, especially in the rubber seals. After you have had your dishwasher cleaned to remove black mold, make sure that you air the dishwasher out after using it.
Behind the Wallpaper
Wallpaper sometimes has black mold hiding behind it. Wear respiratory protection when removing wallpaper, because doing so can release a large number of spores.
Nearby Leaky Pipes and Under the Sink
Check all of your pipes. Leaky pipes will often cause the formation of mold until the problem has been corrected. The area under the sink is a common home for mold, since the black mold grows on the fiberboard.
In Your Basement
If your basement has recently flooded, but it was not properly dried out, black mold is a common problem. Also, if your basement is not well-ventilated, moisture may cause black mold to grow.
Within Newly Constructed Walls
You might believe that a newly constructed home is safer from black mold. However, as the building is being sealed, humidity can be trapped in certain areas, causing black mold to grow.
Check near houseplants. If they are being overwatered, there might be black mold growing somewhere nearby.
Inside the Humidifier
Your humidifier needs to be cleaned regularly, or black mold may begin to grow inside. If so, you should consider replacing it. Hydrogen peroxide mixed with warm water will sanitize the humidifier after every use.
Given how challenging it can be to find black mold, you may need to contact a black mold removal specialist, like those at American Flood and Fire. Even if you have removed some of the mold, only a thorough inspection will ensure that you are completely safe. Also, if you try to remove the black mold yourself, you could place your own health at risk.